Current positionLecturer cum Post-Doctoral-Fellow
R C Bose Centre for Cryptology and Security
Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
Reach me atsg.[firstname]@gmail.com
Office phone currently not available
Room 404, 3rd Floor, Deshmukh Building
I am teachingNumerical Analysis
B.Stat. -- First Year Second Semester
With Prof. Subhamoy Maitra
About Me aboutI am a Researcher, positioned precariously at the confluence of Computer Science, Mathematics and Engineering, and I study the art and science of Cryptology and Information Security.
- Since 2014 : Lecturer-cum-PDF, R C Bose Centre, Indian Statistical Institute
- 2011-2014 : Researcher, Centre of Excellence in Cryptology, Indian Statistical Institute
- 2010-2011 : Research-Fellow, Applied Statistics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute
- 2009-2010 : Researcher, Applied Statistics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute
- 2008–2009 : Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
- Summer 2008 : Sessional Instructor, Dept. of Pure Mathematics, Univ. of Waterloo
- 2006-2008 : Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Pure Mathematics, Univ. of Waterloo
- 2014 : PhD in Computer Science (Cryptology) -- Indian Statistical Institute
- 2008 : M.Math. in Pure Mathematics -- University of Waterloo
- 2006 : B.E.Tel.E. in Electronics and Telecommunication Engg. -- Jadavpur University
I will be glad to share a copy of my CV, with further professional details, if you are interested.
Research researchMy research inclination follows two apparently diverse tracks in Cryptology -- mathematical analysis of cryptographic primitives towards discovering their vulnerabilities, and efficient engineering of cryptographic designs for high performance in practice.
In Cryptanalysis, my interests range across theoretical problems like statistical analysis of stream ciphers to lattice-based attacks on RSA and factorization. I also take active interest in practical applications of Cryptology in visual cryptographic schemes, key pre-distribution and electronic cash. The central theme of my research has always targeted at bridging the gap between theory and practice in Cryptology.
In addition to my primary interests in Cryptology, I am also inclined towards research topics in Number Theory that have close ties with cryptographic applications. Distribution of primes, primality testing algorithms, the factorization problem, lattice based analysis of cryptographic constructions, and topics in elliptic curve cryptography pique my interest. Time and again, I also like to explore elegant theoretical and computational problems in elementary Number Theory.
- Spring 2015 -- Numerical Analysis -- B.Stat., First Year -- with Prof. Subhamoy Maitra
- Fall 2014 -- Introduction to Programming -- M.Tech. CS, First Year -- Course Website
Publications publicationsThe following is a select list of my publications. Please feel free to check my DBLP page as well.
I will be glad to share a copy of my CV, with a complete list of publications, if you are interested.
- Proving TLS-attack related open biases of RC4
DCC (2014, to appear) -- S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta, G. Paul and S. Maitra
- (Non-)Random Sequences from (Non-)Random Permutations -- Analysis of RC4 stream cipher
J. of Cryptology (2014) -- S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- High Performance Hardware Implementation for RC4 Stream Cipher
IEEE-TC (2013) -- S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay, K. Sinha, S. Maitra and B. P. Sinha
- Designing Integrated Accelerator for Stream Ciphers with Structural Similarities
CCDS (2013) -- S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay and A. Khalid
- Counting Heron triangles with constraints
INTEGERS (2013) -- P. Stanica, S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra and N. Kar
- Dependence in IV-related bytes of RC4 key enhances vulnerabilities in WPA
FSE 2014 -- S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, W. Meier, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- Attack on Broadcast RC4 Revisited
FSE 2011 -- S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sen Gupta
- Proof of Empirical RC4 Biases and New Key Correlations
SAC 2011 -- S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- HiPAcc-LTE: An Integrated High Performance Accelerator for 3GPP LTE Stream Ciphers
INDOCRYPT 2011 -- S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay and A. Khalid
- One Byte per Clock: A Novel RC4 Hardware
INDOCRYPT 2010 -- S. Sen Gupta, K. Sinha, S. Maitra and B. P. Sinha
- Partial Key Exposure Attack on RSA - Improvements for Limited Lattice Dimensions
INDOCRYPT 2010 -- S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta and S. Maitra
- Factoring RSA Modulus using Prime Reconstruction from Random Known Bits
AFRICACRYPT 2010 -- S. Maitra, S. Sarkar and S. Sen Gupta
- Analysis and Implementation of RC4 Stream Cipher
PhD Thesis (2013) -- Advisor: Prof. Subhamoy Maitra, ISI Kolkata
- Artin's Conjecture - Unconditional Approach and Elliptic Analogue
MMath Thesis (2008) -- Advisor: Dr. Yu-Ru Liu and Dr. Wentang Kuo, Univ. of Waterloo
- Member of Program Committee - Indocrypt 2014
- Reviewer/Sub-reviewer for Journal of Cryptology, IEEE Trans. on Computers, CCDS, Crypto, Eurocrypt, Asiacrypt, FSE, SAC, Indocrypt, Africacrypt, ProvSec, etc.
- Member of Organizing Committee for Indocrypt 2012 and Indocrypt 2013.
- Organized several workshops and training programs in Cryptology and allied disciplines, hosted by Centre of Excellence in Cryptology, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.
- Organized several Mathematics workshops and training programs for school students, primarily targeted towards Mathematics Olympiad.
- Co-organizer of various workshops and training programs in Free and Open Source Software.
Personal personalI have had a bounty of hobbies and leisurely activities over the course of time -- sketching, magic, shayaari, recitation, karate, cooking, and many more. At present, I am interested in photography, web development, and free and open-source software movement.
I am also an avid reader, and I love listening to technical and non-technical lectures from various sources (TED talks are my personal favorites).